Sunday, February 26, 2006

I never aged

I never aged, I was once a child but never more

I never grew, I was once small but now that is hard to conceive

I simply awoke



When did my childhood end?

When did I change from being the protected to being the intrepid?

From crawling in the shadows of my elders, to sailing the sunrays all alone?



I noticed it suddenly

I had claimed it as mine for years, being "mature"

It took but one childish picture to open the doors of realization



What brought on the transformation?

How did I change from the child in the candy store

That it was to me they turned for payment, me? Am I not still the child?

No…



I never consented, I was to be child forever

I never agreed, it just came about, all at once, no hope or gate could halt it

I was a boat thrust into the sea with the sails of my culture and schooling



Why did this have to happen?

Can’t we just live in the innocent purity of youth forever?

No longer can debts be paid with a childish smile, no time for you and me, only work,… and death



I never aged, I am still the child that is no more

I never grew, I am still small inside though large I may seem

I simply awoke this way, hoping this is but dream, only dreaming my hope



I never aged, the world aged me

I never agreed, the contract signed me

I never hope, Hope is fallow in the world that aged me

4 Comments:

Blogger the sabra said...

I liked the line about the contract signing you
I don't understand the first line. Care to explain? Regardless, it was a great piece.

February 28, 2006 4:34 AM  
Blogger Eli Sp. said...

Thanks for the comment, I wrote this when I was visiting my parents home and was going through some old photos. For some reason this is what triggered my mind to realize that I'm not my parents little boy anymore, and I tried to figure out when this transition happened.
This is when I truly accepted that although "I was once a child" it is this way "never more".
hope that clears things up...

February 28, 2006 8:17 AM  
Blogger the sabra said...

ya thanks. don't know why that was so hard for me to 'chap'.

March 01, 2006 1:26 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Wow. Awesome. This resonated with me. Check out my blog post entitled Yonatan - looks like you'll get it.

(I see you linked my blog - thanks! So you've probably already read the post...?)

March 21, 2006 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home